Every Month Is Filled With Local Music, We Celebrate This Fact During May – NZ Music Month
May is more than just another month… to many May signifies something special and something that is uniquely kiwi for it is NZ Music Month – a month completely and utterly dedicated to our local music and musicians.
May is more than just another month... to many May signifies something special and something that is uniquely kiwi for it is NZ Music Month - a month completely and utterly dedicated to our local music and musicians.
NZ Music Month was originally started as a radio industry focused week which has over the years morphed into a fully fledged month long celebration of everything musical from New Zealand. It's for all New Zealander's and their friends who wish to participate in whatever manner they choose.
May 2012 plays host to a huge array of gigs, showcases, record releases, open days, seminars, exhibitions, promotions and competitions around the country all to celebrate our local music and those folk that create it.
As May gets closer the anticipation and excitement for the casual and not so casual music fan starts to kick in... so here's a sneak peek into some of the exciting activities happening around the globe this NZ Music Month:
- Smokefree Rockquest & Pacifica Beats Launch, Parliament Buildings, Wellington April 30 with regional heats kicking off around the country throughout the month.
- Rip It Up Presents Best Of Kiwi, the official unofficial NZ Music Month Awards
- Anika Moa, Nadia Reid & Hanna Harding kicking off Christchurchs NZ Music Month activities at CPIT, May 1
- Ponsonby watering hole The Whiskey kicks off 21 nights of live music come May first.
- Dirty Records celebrate ten years in the biz with a birthday party being held at Auckland's The Studio, May 4
- The Yoots perform at the Tongariro Chartered Club, Taurangi, May 11
- The Great Escape Festival: NZ Showcase, Brighton UK May 12
- Beautiful Machine the Shihad documentary opens in cinemas nationwide, May 17
- State Of Mind perform at Sammys in Dunedin, May 19
- Liverpool Sound City: NZ Music Showcase, Liverpool UK, May 17
- NZSO - Made In NZ Concert, Town Hall Wellington, May 25
- Pacific Music Awards, Manukau May 31
- APO with DJ CXL & Anonymouz Remix The Orchestra, Auckland Town Hall, May 31
- Gore Golden Guitar Awards, Gore May 31
We close the Month with our annual Hook Line & Sing-along event where thousands of school students all over the country come together to sing the Hook Line and Sing-along song at noon on May 31st. This year's chosen song is entitled 21 Degrees In The Shade and was written by Bruce Taiapa, a year 13 student from Gisborne.
And no musical month of May would be complete without the iconic NZ Music Month t-shirts. This years t-shirts will be available from all good local record stores for the first time, allowing purchasers the opportunity to also pick up some great local music.
With twenty days to go... what will you be doing this May or more importantly - What will you be listening to?
NZ Music Month is organised by the NZ Music Commission in association with NZ On Air, RIANZ, APRA, Music Managers Forum, Independent Music NZ, and the Radio Broadcasters Association to showcase the best of NZ music around the country.
For more information on all aspects of NZ Music Month 2012 please contact Simon Woods at the NZ Music Commission:
09 376 0115 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Logon to the NZ Music Month official website www.nzmusicmonth.co.nz from the first of May for event listings and information about what's happening this NZ Music Month around the globe.
Issued by The NZ Music Commission
Back to Commission News