Kiwiana Goes Pop Is the Ultimate Kiwi Comp!
Massive new compilation of every New Zealand classic you can think of. New Zealand's entire pop culture history captured in 78 songs.
Kiwiana Goes Pop is a unique celebration of all the sounds we have grown up with and is the soundtrack to every Kiwi's life (young and old). It encompasses and embraces over 60 years of classic Kiwiana, from the fifties right through to Kiwiana 2012 style. The compilation album will be released on November 16.
78 tracks which have been rounded up and herded into their appropriate pens - farm songs, pub songs, Rugby songs, Kiwi telly themes, Kiwi comedy, politics and just about everything in between.
The unique stories behind the songs are also told in a mini encyclopaedic 20 page booklet, filled with enough trivia to win you 10 meat packs at your local pub quiz.
While the track listing rings with instant recognition, over two thirds of the tracks appear on CD for the very first time.
The Contacts unreleased performance of ‘Ten Guitars' was recorded just weeks after Engelbert's version, and is the very first local outing of this imported kiwi party staple. The Chesdale Cheese ad was saved from a skip bin at the 11th hour and takes its place in our alternative national anthem chapter.
Music lovers can rejoice, as Ashley Clinton and his Sheep's Choir baa and bleat their way through ‘Pokarekare Ana,' while The Waikato Dairy Lab Singers advise us on how to treat our herd's teats (in song).
Barry Crump's ‘A Dog Named Blue' makes its CD debut ("Bought a dog off a bloke who was passing through, for a retread tyre and a beer or two"). And one of Kiwiana's most revered and well known tracks, Lou & Simon's ‘A Maori Car', has never been available since its original release in the mid-sixties. It now takes its place alongside Fred Dagg's ‘Gumboots', the stand-up comedy of Billy T.James, McPhail and Gadsby, Brian Edwards, Rod Derrett, Ash Burton, Gerry Merito (with and without The Howard Morrison Quartet), while Justin Brown puts a new twist on Kiwiana with his 2010 track ‘Good Keen Metrosexual'.
Kiwi TV themes such as ‘Country Calendar,' ‘C'mon,' ‘Graham Kerr- The Galloping Gourmet' and ‘Fergie Fang' (the first indigenous local kids show) also feature.
There's more Kiwiana on ‘Kiwiana goes Pop‘' than you can shake a stick at.
Kiwiana Goes Pop is released November 16.
Full Tracklisting below...
KIWIANA GOES POP - THE ULTIMATE KIWI COMP
Chris Bourke (writer, historian & broadcaster) "Kiwiana Goes Pop is authoritative, scholarly and fun."
Murdoch Riley (Viking Sevenseas) "I have been in the New Zealand music industry for 55 years. Kiwiana goes Pop is the best compilation of local material that I have ever seen."
John Clarke (aka Fred Dagg) "Aahh yeah...she looks pretty interesting."
Richard Wolfe (writer & Kiwiana expert) "From Barry Crump to the National Anthem, taking in gumboots, Rob Muldoon and the State House, nothing is overlooked (not even the hu hu bug) in this mesmerising muster of essential Kiwi culture."
Max Cryer (Entertainer, writer and broadcaster) "The New Zealand Encyclopaedia provides history for the eye ... Kiwiana Goes Pop brings instant history to the ear."
KIWIANA GOES POP - TRACKLIST
1. CHES ‘N' DALE. Chesdale Cheese ad
2. THE CONTACTS. Ten Guitars.
3. ROD DERRETT. Rugby Racing and Beer.
4. THE HOWARD MORRISON QUARTET. My Old Man's An All Black.
5. LEW PRYME with Winston McCarthy. The Feat of Fantastic Fergie.
6. LAURIE NORTH. Flemings Milk Oaties.
7. DOUG CATLEY AND THE FERNLEAFS. Big Bad Don.
8. THE HAMILTON COUNTY BLUEGRASS BAND. Down the Hall On A Saturday Night.
9. PAT McMINN. Hey Diddle Griddle ad.
10. HERMA KEIL AND THE KEIL ISLES. Twisting the New Zealand Way.
11. RIM D.PAUL & THE QUIN TIKIS. The Theme to Runaway .
12. ARTIST UNKNOWN. Roscoe Choc Bomb ad.
13. HOWARD MORRISON. Don't Let It Get You.
14. ALAN MOORHOUSE. Hillbilly Child (Country Calendar theme)
15. FERGIE FANG & MISS JUDY. Fergies Tune.
16. PAT McMINN AND THE STARDUSTERS. Edmonds Jelly ad.
17. SANDY EDMONDS. Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows (Galloping Gourmet theme)
18. PETER SINCLAIR. C'mon spoken intro.
19. THE KEIL ISLES. C'mon.
20. DINAH LEE. Yea Yea We Love Them All.
21. Peter Sinclair reports on The Beatles arrival.
22. LOU AND SIMON with MAX MERRITT & THE METEORS. All My Loving.
23. HOWARD MORRISON AND THE HU HU'S. I Wanna Cut Your Hair.
24. ROD DERRETT. Puha and Pakeha.
25. THE THREE LADS. Broadway Pies ad.
26. BAS TUBERT. The Hu Hu Bug.
27. KEITH RICHARDSON. NZ Pork ad (Banned version).
28. MOTHER GOOSE. Baked Beans.
29. ASHLEY CLINTON'S SHEEP CHOIR. Pokare Ana.
30. GARNER WAYNE. Love In The Fowlhouse.
31. THE WAIKATO DAIRY LAB SINGERS. Mastitus Melodies.
32. LOU AND SIMON. A Maori Car.
33. ASH BURTON AND THE NIGHTCAPS. Tea In Te Kuiti.
34. WAYNE SENIOR. I've Got That Second Holiday Feeling (NAC ad).
35. JOHN HORE. I've Been Everywhere.
36. BARRY CRUMP & PAUL HARROPS GOOD KEEN MEN. A Dog Named Blue.
37. GERRY MERITO. The Ballad of Peter Snell.
38. OZZIE CHEESEMAN. Kiwi Shoe Polish ad.
39. JIMMY FITZPATRICK. The Hillary Song.
40. MARIA DALLAS. The Queen of the House.
41. McKenzies 49/6p frock ad.
42. THE STARDUSTERS. Taniwha Blue ad.
43. Self Help Are Cheaper ad.
44. THE HAMILTON COUNTY BLUEGRASS BAND. Hip Hi Pantyhose ad.
45. BRIAN EDWARDS. Monologue 1. (spoken)
46. FRED DAGG. Gumboots.
47. DES GAY AND THE FOOLISH FAGS. Pine tree Des Gay.
48. THE BOYS FROM THE GLUEPOT. You Really Missed Your Chance.
49. THE MAORI VOLCANICS featuring Billy T James. Impersonations (edit).
50. REON MURTHA. Musical Sweepstakes.
51. SCOTTY AND CRUMPY. Side By Side.
52. ALL OF US. Sailing Away.
53. STEVE ALLEN. Join Together.
54. BLACK BOLT AND THE SILVER FERNS. Give Em A Taste of Kiwi.
55. Underdogs Intro.
56. MONTE VIDEO AND THE CASSETTES.
57. MURRAY GRINDLAY. McDonalds Kiwi Burger ad.
58. MURRAY GRINDLAY & MIDGE MARSDEN. Travlin On (Europa ad.)
59. GRAY BARTLETT & BRENDAN DUGAN. The Ballad of Robbie Muldoon.
60. DANNY FAYE (as Rob Muldoon). Lets Do It My Way.
61. EBONY. Big Norm.
62. DAVE JORDAN. State House Song.
63. UNKNOWN ARTIST. Reid Built Homes ad.
64. THE CONVAIRS. Little Boxes.
65. ROD DERRETT. The Kiwi Hotel.
66. THE BOYS FROM THE GLUEPOT. That One Didn't Touch the Sides..
67. BRIAN EDWARDS. Monologue 2. (spoken)
68. HERMA KEIL & THE KEIL ISLES. Teardrops.
69. MARIA DALLAS. Tumblin Down. (USA version)
70. 1967 Loxene Gold Disc Announcement.
71. MR LEE GRANT. Thanks To You.
72. ALLISON DURBIN. I Have Loved Me A Man. (alt version)
73. THE FOURMYULA. Nature. (UK version)
74. SPLIT ENZ. One Two Nine.
75. THE INHALERS. The Man/God Who Was Craig Scott.
76. JUSTIN BROWN'S MYTH NEW ZEALAND. Good Keen Metrosexual.
77. KEV & THE KIWI FRUITS. Good On Yer Kiwi.
78. THE NEW ZEALAND GUITAR ORCHESTRA. God Defend New Zealand.