Applications Close Wed 20 January! Industry Internship Programme 2021
With huge thanks to Manatū Taonga and the Te Tahua Whakakaha I Cultural Sector Capability Fund, the Music Commission’s Industry Internship Programme for 2021 will have almost 70% more placements available. A total of 27 music sector roles are available for application now.
The goal of the Music Commission’s Industry Internship Programme is growing the knowledge, networks and career potential of emerging music professionals. The internship roles are generally suited to recent graduates, or people wanting to kick start a career in the music industry.
Te I Cultural Sector Capability Fund is part of the Ministry for Culture and Heritage Taonga Arts and Culture COVID recovery programme, to support initiatives that build skills and knowledge, and provide access to advice, services, tools and resources.
Applications to be an Intern in 2021 are open until 5:00pm on Wednesday 20 January. Internships will start in late February or March. All internships must be completed by 30 June 2021.
This intake will have more positions available than ever before, with 27 roles of varying weekly hours, ranging from ten week to sixteen week placements. These are paid positions and this year the hourly rate has been increased to the living wage rate of $22.10 per hour.
The roles will be filled in the order of when the placements begin, so some positions will not be confirmed until late February.
Applicants need to identify which of the roles they would like to apply for. Applicants can apply for a maximum of three Internship positions. You will need to provide a cover letter and CV with your application. For guidance on what makes a good cover letter, you can have a look at the resource here. If you’d like to read additional information about the Programme, there is an FAQ on our website here.
The application form to be an Intern as part of the Industry Internship Programme 2021 is available here.
The Industry Internship Programme Intern roles available for 2020 are:
1. - Creative Navigator - 3 days (24 hours) 16 weeks - Gisborne
Empowering creatives to illuminate the world for a conscious indigenous focused music company.
2. Promotions Assistant - 3 days (24 hours) 16 weeks - Auckland
Assisting with day-to-day tasks across the different departments for a live music promoter.
3. Recording Studio Intern - 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
Working alongside the head sound engineer in all aspects of recording and mixing.
4. Sound and Audio Engineer - 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
Sound and audio engineer to work closely with a Pacific Music Creative Producer on a variety of in house and external projects.
5. Events Marketing and Content Coordinator - 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
Content, marketing, event promotion and assisting with music events run in the mornings.
6. Artist Services Assistant - 2 days (16 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
Working within an established team to launch a new artist services channel.
7. Artist Management Assistant - 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks OR Full-time (40 hours) - 10 weeks - Auckland
Providing day-to-day assistance including desk research, administration, assisting with contracts, project and tour planning, supporting marketing and social media.
8. Admin/PR Support - 2 days (16 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
Providing admin support and carrying out entry-level PR duties for a small but very busy music company.
9. Artist Liaison - Full-time - 10-weeks period - Wellington
Assist in key areas of festival operations, primarily to work alongside the festival coordinator to assist with artist communications.
10. NZ Music Promotions Assistant - 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
Assisting the small Auckland-based NZ Music Promotions team with their mahi in promoting and supporting new NZ music to a multitude of online and broadcast platforms.
11. Digital Designer - 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks - Nelson
Visual designer for social media, video channels and online marketing campaigns. Own computer etc required for remote working position.
12. Member Services & Operations Manager - 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
Day to day running and coordination of a new guild organisation for producer members and the executive board.
13. Content Creator (Video and Written) - 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks - Christchurch
Capture, edit and publish of video or graphic design content; edit and write content for social media and digital platforms.
14. Music Supervisor Assistant - 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
Music Supervisors Assistant for Film and TV projects, company expansion and project development.
15. Music Admin / Licensing Assistant - 2 days (16 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
To assist with administration and licensing music at an independent music publishing company.
16. Assistant to the Studio Manager and House Engineers - Full-time (40 hours) - 10 weeks - Auckland
Assisting in the daily operations of a world class recording studio.
17. Event Assistant/Publicist - 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
Providing important support to General Manager and Event Publicist to ensure the successful execution of our all-ages events.
18. Marketing and Digital Intern - 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks - Wellington
Supporting the Marketing Manager on social media and assisting with communications and promotional initiatives for an organisation whose focus includes classical, Māori, electroacoustic and jazz music.
19. Catalogue & Label Assistant - 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
Administration and PR support for a music and audio studio with in-house label.
20. Production and Studio Assistant - 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks - OR Full-time (40 hours) - 10 weeks - Auckland
Production assistant for a producer, studio and label who is proficient with Ableton DAW.
21. Music Management Intern - 2 days (16 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland OR 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
Assist Manager with day to day tasks including (but not limited to) comms, live assets, social media, data entry and merch distribution.
22. Studio Coordinator & Administrator - 2 days (16 hours) - 16 weeks - Christchurch
Coordinating the daily operations and administration of a music academy and assisting in planning and organising events.
23. Studio, Rehearsal and Events Administrator - 2 days (16 hours) - 16 weeks OR 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks - Palmerston North
Supporting the operation of an all-ages live music venue, rehearsal studios and recording studio.
24. Management Assistant - 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
To assist the artist managers in all day-to-day management of our clients, to assist in the build and operation of festival events.
25. Assistant Editor - 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
Working for a NZ music publication, the role includes listening to music, news writing, research, interviews, album reviews, content management, search engine optimisation, curation and social media scheduling.
26. Live Production Assistant - 2 days (16 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
Assisting the Production Manager in the advance and delivery of high profile music concerts, tours and festivals.
27. Label Admin Assistant - 3 days (24 hours) 16 weeks - Kumeu, Auckland
Assisting with the labels day to day running social media, stock control and reporting. Own transportation is required.
The Intern application form for the Industry Internship Programme 2021 is available here.
Applications to be an Intern in 2021 close at 5:00pm on Wednesday 20 January.
No late applications will be accepted.