Mentoring Programme IGNITE Returns in 2018
The innovative youth development programme, which nurtures and empowers young people to pursue their passion in music and events, IGNITE is proud to confirm programme delivery in 2018 with a new intake and MAINZ Scholarship opportunity.
The success of the pilot programme in 2016 led to many of its participants moving on to tertiary education and gaining work placements and internship opportunities across the industry.
The 12-week programme will return in 2018 and will again focus on the power of mentoring; offering participants aged 15-18 a unique experience and hands-on approach to the music and events industry. There are 10 placements available and there is no cost to participate in the programme, which will run from April 7 to June 28. Visit www.igniteprogramme.org.nz for more information on the programme.
Applications open on February 12.
What IGNITE offers:
- Established music industry professional paired up with participants to provide information, advice and guidance on an ongoing basis throughout the programme (one-on-one)
- Participants develop events further in groups and with previous graduates (peer to peer)
Seminars and Workshops
- Invited professionals share expertise at IGNITE Seminars, also open to the public. Topics include event and tour management and marketing and aimed towards people venturing into events and tours for the first time, followed by workshops where participants will get feedback and advice on their events from the industry guests.
- Guests from the production sector facilitates a hands-on Event Production workshop for participants to gain a base understanding of event production and learn basic sound setup skills
- Gain practical experience volunteering and working at music events
- Private tours of music venues to gain further insight
Participants will work towards producing a music-based event at the end of the 12-week programme, working under the guidance of their mentors, alongside the IGNITE team and with the assistance of the IGNITE Event Fund. All participants will reflect on their journey and learnings and present these to complete the programme. One deserving graduate will be awarded the MAINZ Scholarship to study Diploma in Music and Event Management in 2019. Industry mentors will be announced in January.
IGNITE believes when young people discover their passion they will thrive and reach their full potential. Music is a powerful artform via which IGNITE supports the personal and professional development of young people, giving them a stepping stone to further education pathways and discover the various careers that exist within New Zealand’s vibrant creative industries. Through the programme, our young people will also engage the wider community by producing truly authentic youth events – run by young people for young people, whilst creating key performance opportunities for young and emerging artists. IGNITE is made possible in 2018 with generous support from Music and Audio Institute of NZ (MAINZ), NZ Music Commission and Creative Communities.